New York urges protesters to get tested; Turkey announces weekend lockdown in 15 cities; US jobless claims pass 42m
- Brazil infections pass 600,000 as death toll passes Italy’s
- South Africa sees record jump in cases
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The Czech Republic said it would fully open borders with Austria, Germany and Hungary on Friday, 10 days earlier than planned, almost three months after they were shut to curb coronavirus.
Travellers will be free to enter from noon (10:00 GMT) without submitting a negative virus test or going into quarantine.
Surgical masks are washing up in growing quantities on the shores of Hong Kong, a city that has overwhelmingly embraced face coverings to fight the coronavirus.
Conservationists say the masks are adding to already alarmingly high levels of plastic waste in the waters around the finance hub.
What I’ll be waiting to see is when we’ll get a dead porpoise or dolphin washed out with masks inside their stomach.
Obviously these are another thing that enters into the marine environment and could be mistaken for food.