- States split on when to revive economy as deaths pass 50,000
- Piecemeal changes could lead to resurgence of infection
- Coronavirus – latest US updates
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The US states of Georgia, Oklahoma and Alaska have begun loosening lockdown orders on their pandemic-wounded businesses, even as the confirmed US death toll from the coronavirus has soared past 50,000 and despite warnings from health experts that such steps may be coming too early.