Boris Johnson backs Dominic Cummings despite outcry; France sees lowest daily cases and deaths since lockdown; India resumes domestic flights. Follow the latest updates
- US bars travellers who have been in Brazil in last two weeks
- Dominic Cummings facing possible police investigation as pressure mounts
- Johnson’s defence of Cummings sparks anger from allies and opponents
- Australia coronavirus – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
ICYMI: A hug is all we need – Woman wears an inflatable hippo suit to safely hug her mother at a nursing home in Virginia pic.twitter.com/Wwj0HCJ54p
Exclusive: The world’s largest pharmaceutical companies rejected an EU proposal three years ago to work on fast-tracking vaccines for pathogens like coronavirus to allow them to be developed before an outbreak, the Guardian can reveal.
The plan to speed up the development and approval of vaccines was put forward by European commission representatives sitting on the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) – a public-private partnership whose function is to back cutting-edge research in Europe – but it was rejected by industry partners on the body.