36m Americans unemployed; Brazil cases hit 200,000; EU insists vaccine must be available to all countries. Follow the latest updates
- Trump suggests he could ‘cut off whole relationship’ with China
- Leaders urge free vaccines as France allows staycations
- Donald Trump goes maskless to tour medical equipment facility
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
Mexico’s health ministry on Thursday confirmed 257 additional coronavirus deaths and 2,409 new infections, the biggest one-day rise in cases since the pandemic began.
The new infections brought confirmed coronavirus cases to 42,595 and 4,477 deaths in total, according to the official tally.
Meanwhile, the EU pledged to step up support for the island’s breakaway Turkish-run north. Commission president Ursula Von Der Leyen, responding to a request for aid from the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mustafa Akinci, said the bloc would provide 2.5 million euro for the immediate purchase of medical equipment. Further assistance will also be sent for the support of 25 health workers over the next three months with additional aid earmarked for farmers, she wrote in a letter to Akinci.